Monday, July 22, 2013

Eggs, Eggs, Everywhere!

Lindsay Buckingfish and Stevie Fishnick are astonishing me with the frequency at which they're laying eggs.

They have survivors from two batches in the tank now. I have somewhere between 12 and 14 angelfish babies that are around three weeks old. I haven't counted the younger babies because they're in the "invisible stage" where they hide in the gravel until they're big enough to enter the Big World of their tank.

One would think that's enough but not for these two lovebirds - er, fish! They've now laid another batch of eggs on the filter intake.

I stuffed the bottom of the filter intake with cotton, which prevents babies from being sucked into it. And I also changed the water this past weekend. Normally, I would replace the cotton twice a week but with eggs on it, I won't be able to do anything until they hatch.

Here's the latest video. You can see the eggs in the background and also the angelfish babies swimming around. Lindsay is the large black marble - about ten inches tall - and Stevie is the platinum angel, around 7-8 inches tall.