Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Honeymoon Suite

About two weeks ago, I moved a pair of koi angels from a community tank to their own honeymoon suite.

I moved them because they had become very territorial. The female remained in one corner of the tank, often staring at an old filter intake I put in the tank when it appeared as if they were ready to breed. The male, however, didn't want anybody else in their tank and tried to run them off repeatedly. The problem is, nobody else had anywhere else they could go.

So when the last batch of babies left, I moved the pair to this tank to allow them space and solitude to breed to their heart's content.

Interestingly, they have not tried to breed yet. This is not uncommon, as they want to make sure there will be no predators and no surprises in their new environment before they start their new family.

I hope to have several batches of babies with this pair because they are so brilliantly colored. Koi angels are very rare and I am anxious to see if they can successfully breed as my black marble and platinum angels have been doing for some time.